Ever growing emphasis is being placed on the need for developments to conserve energy and reduce CO2 emissions. The production of an energy strategy is key to demonstrating how they will do this and no modern development will receive planning approval without one.
What is an Energy Strategy?
Almost entirely used for planning applications to show that a development is in line with local, regional and national planning policies. An energy strategy is a series of analyses, summarised in one document that outlines the predicted HVAC, lighting and renewable technology proposals for the development. It then summarises predicted energy consumption and CO2 emissions for the whole development. This is achieved by inputting building input data into approved software and using dynamic modelling calculations to predict said outputs.
Our strategies have been enhanced and streamlined to show how a development will;
- Minimise the demand for energy,
- Supply inhabitants with their energy requirements efficiently,
- Increase the use of renewable technology,
- Reduce CO2 as a priority.
Why do I need one?
If you have development or refurbishment, over 500 m2, in London, Manchester and most major cities then your local planners will require one. With the government’s drive for sustainability and CO2 reduction ever-increasing, strategies for energy efficiency will only ever increase in demand.
What do I need to provide in order for a strategy to be developed?
In order for us to develop an energy strategy for you, we will require the following;
- Plans, sections and elevations drawings.
- Details of construction U-values for floors, walls and roofs.
- Glazing details showing U-value and G-value (solar shading factor).
- Mech drawings showing all installed HVAC & DHW plant/systems.
- Electrical drawings and lighting schedule showing all installed lighting and their efficacy/efficiency (lumens/Watt) and any controls (PIR’s or daylight sensors).
- Results of the air pressure test showing air permeability (if performed).
- Details of any renewable systems installed, such as solar panels. Drawings, product details, and supplier calculations (if applicable).
Of course if some of the above are not available, QuinnRoss Energy will be happy to provide recommendations and advice as to how to achieve the requirements in the easiest and most cost-effective way.